I have been lucky to have been blessed with 3 beautiful (I know I am biase) girls, who have all been basically healthy since day one. That in and of itself is no small blessing. I know this now that I am older and more educated on the subject of having babies.
However, I have not been blessed with babies who sleep easily at night. None of my girls have slept through the night before about 6 months or more.
Alyssa had severe colic until about 9 months old. We lived on about 3 hours or less sleep for about that long. We would walk the floors of our old home with her til all hours of the day and night with her crying in pain. It was HARD!
Bella was MUCH easier on us and a much better sleeper. But she would still get up every few hours to nurse and then go back to sleep pretty quickly after. She never really slept through the night completely until 6 months old.
Layla is now 2 months old. From what I have seen so far, she is not our hardest baby, neither our easiest baby. Unlucky for us, she has her most "fussy time" in the evening hours. So I have officially been running on little to no sleep for about 3 months now. (the last month of this pregnancy I got very little sleep)
The other night I awoke to sounds of Layla starting to wake up and cry, and then she started sucking on something. I leaned over her crib and noticed that she was sucking on her thumb. Even though it was very early in the morning, I had to grab my camera and take a picture. I have never had a thumb sucker before. I know it isn't a great habit to form, but it was darn cute. She had put herself back to sleep on her own sucking her thumb, so I crawled back into my cozy bed and fell immediately back to sleep too. That night I got about 6.5 hours of sleep straight! The next morning I woke up feeling a lot less drained and cranky. Now I can see why all those moms seemed so darn proud to tell everyone that their babies were sleeping through the night.
IT IS NICE!



7 comments:
What a cute picture! She looks so peaceful! I have to say that one thing in particular that I enjoy about reading your blog is that you keep it real! I love that! And to help you feel even better about not having a baby that sleeps through the night, neither one of my boys slept through the night until they weren't nursing anymore! So that was about a year each that I didn't get a solid nights sleep! So I can totally sympathize with you!
what a beautiful baby. props to you moms with the newborns, it is HARD WORK!
She is SO dang cute!
I would courage this thumb sucking!! I sucked mine and was the easiest baby my Mom said because I could soothe myself!! Hope this keeps up :) Just stop her before she goes to school... hehe
Pshhh! Who cares if she sucks her thumb!? Isn't it kinda the same thing as a pacifier? And with a thumb, she can get it back in her mouth sooner than she would if a paci fell out of her mouth! I say, CELEBRATE!! Here's to sleep, woo-hoooo!! ;)
P.S. GREAT picture!!
I do love a binky-baby... but this is SO CUTE!! :)
AWW! So Sweet! I love this picture! I hope you are coming home soon so I can hold her before she gets any bigger!
Post a Comment