Moms are the Queens of Multi-tasking

Moms are the Queens of Multi-tasking

Thursday, August 12, 2010

1st Day of School!

I stumbled into the bathroom to start my morning extra early today. I'm not actually sure that the day before ever really ended since I was up ever 2 hours feeding Layla during the night. Exhausted and wanting to sleep in would have to wait until another day, because today was a very special day and I needed to get going.
I packed Alyssa's new big girl backpack, showered and dressed, and fed the baby AGAIN. Alyssa comes into my bathroom with her clothes that we laid out the night before for her to wear. She tells me she is ready to get dressed. I can tell she is excited about going to school because she normally doesn't get up and get dressed this easily. After Alyssa is dressed and cleaned up for her big day, we go to the kitchen to get a quick breakfast. This is a big problem, because Alyssa is not a fan of eating first thing early in the morning. So all I could get her to eat was a granola bar and a glass of milk.
I drove Alyssa to school and walked her in today. She is insisting that she can ride the school bus to and from school, but for her first couple of days, I feel better if I walk her into her class myself.
When it was time to leave the house, we said goodbye to grandma and Bella for the day, and Bella runs into her room and gets her teddy bear backpack and sandals on. She cried to come with me to drop Alyssa off. She was just so sad about her leaving, I had to take her with us.
It turned out to be a really good thing that she went with us. I think it was good for Bella to see where her sister was going to everyday. She was excited to take her to class and she waved goodbye and blew her kisses as we left her. Once Alyssa was all settled into her classroom, she walked right up to a table and sat down and started playing and visiting with other classmates. She was happy, content, and confidant in herself as she sat there. I gave her a kiss and hug and told her to be good and have a fun day. She was like, "Okay mom. Love you." and went on with her business like it was no big deal I was leaving her with complete strangers to her. I picked up Bella and we walked out the door. I turned and watched Alyssa play for a minute and a million memories and feelings flooded over me. In Alyssa's first 10 months of her life, she was very difficult and unhappy because she was so sick all the time. I was so exhausted then, and people always told me how that time wouldn't last very long, and how I should cherish them even though it was hard because before I knew it she would be all grown up. As I looked at her in her classroom this morning, I knew exactly what all those people were talking about. I can't believe that my first born daughter is going to school all day already. I worry that Bella will miss her playmate during the day now that Alyssa is gone to school, but once mommy is up and running a full tank of gas again, we will just do more play dates with her friends to get her social time in.


Alyssa, Isabella, and her wonderful teacher Mrs Goodroe. I was praying SO hard that Alyssa would get the perfect teacher for her. Someone who was younger, had a lot of energy, patience and love to give her children in class. When we attended meet the teacher the other day, I was so relieved and grateful to see that Mrs Goodroe is Alyssa's teacher. She seems to be everything Alyssa needs! Alyssa ran up to Mrs Goodroe this morning and gave her a big hug and said hello to her. Mrs Goodroe hugged her right back and said how excited she was to see her. And you know what- I believed her! It did my heart good to see that she loves her kids. Just by looking at how much work and creativity she puts into her room set up shows that she loves being a teacher.

Alyssa in front of her school on her first day of Kindergarten.

Alyssa and Isabella before first day of school. Notice Bella wearing her backpack to be like her big sister. I thought that was so cute!

2 comments:

Kali said...

AH! I can't believe she is old enough! SO cute and fun for her!
I have a TON of pics from the kiddie park, but my picasa won't work and it takes FOREVER to upload the pics on hotmail so....I will get them to you eventually.

Laurel said...

Time flies doesn't it?! I'm sorry your little Layla is keeping you up all night long! That is so hard, especially when you have other children to deal with during the day. I remember it well. It will pass, and you will live; it just doesn't feel like it right now.

Love you! And I love reading all about your goings-on. Makes me feel like I'm not so very far away! xoxo