Moms are the Queens of Multi-tasking

Moms are the Queens of Multi-tasking

Thursday, September 18, 2008

What makes a marriage last?

Everywhere I look around me, there are married couples splitting up, separating, divorcing. Some with children and some without. Some who have been married for 5 years or less and some who have been married for more years than they have been without the other.
The statistics of two people making a marriage last "til death us do part," are not in our favor. Sad to say, I have personally contributed to the divorced percentage. Some people just avoid marriage all together because they'd rather not bother with it because it seems silly and pointless. On the other hand, there are those people out there who still believe in the sacred union of marriage. Who believe that it is ordained of God and is a beautiful thing worth working for. Despite my failed marriage at a very young age, I am one who still believes in happily ever after if it is treated right.

With so many around me that are struggling with their marriages right now, I find myself thinking more deeply about this subject. I've asked myself many times over the past few weeks, "What is it that makes a marriage last?"

I have many thoughts about this, but they will have to wait because my baby just woke up from nap time.

TO BE CONTINUED...

2 comments:

T * R * B said...

I think I could listen to you talk or teach for hours. You are smart beyond your years.

Laurel said...

Ooh...What a great topic!! A few of my immediate thoughts:

1. Marry with the end in mind. So many get caught up in the romance and wedding plans and hope that the rest just turns out. Choosing someone who will travel the path you want to go WITH you is so important.

2. Maybe you better know where it is you want to go before you get married.

3. Never, ever think that it will be easy. Some people fall into the trap of, "If I were married to my SOUL MATE, it wouldn't be this hard." That's a load of crap. I don't believe in soul mates. I believe in partners. If you married someone else it wouldn't necessarily be easier, just different.

4. Act like you used to when you were dating. Be thoughtful. Be kind. Be grateful. Focus on the good things.

Can't wait to hear what you have to say on the topic. Love you to pieces! xoxo