Moms are the Queens of Multi-tasking

Moms are the Queens of Multi-tasking

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Somethings Up My Nose Mamma? (Part 2)

Sleeping like a baby...notice the balloon that she is holding onto as she fell asleep.
I'm sure that you are all at the edge of your seats just waiting to hear back from me on what happened at the Ear,Nose, and Throat doctors appointment the other day?
For any parent in the Tulsa area- if you ever go through something like this, you've got to go see Dr Puckett. He is located on the 3rd floor of the Warren Clinic building off of Yale and 61st street.
He is a man in his late 50's early 60's? He was just so nice and sweet to Alyssa and so quick at gettin' the job done. Which of course, I loved!
We went to his office Tuesday afternoon, and we went in to the exam room and waited while the nurse prepared out files in a chart etc... Right from the start I knew this office rocked because they had kid books and toys in the rooms to entertain them while waiting. Smart huh? Then, of course Alyssa had to go the bathroom right while we were waiting for the doctor to come in. So I run out of the exam room with her and I guess looked at the nurse like I was going insane, because she offered to watch Bella for me while we ran into the bathroom. Phew!
Bella had fallen asleep on the way in her stroller...thank all that is holy...so that was one less child to wrestle during the appointment.
We get back into the exam room and Dr Puckett comes in and asks a few questions, hops Alyssa up in the exam chair, leans her chair way back, looks up her nose with a long skinny light and says, "Yep...she definitely has something sponging up there." So now what?
They put a few drops of numbing medicine down her nasal cavity and then wait a few minutes while it takes effect. Then we take her to the procedure room and lie her down on the table and wrap her up tightly in this child popuse so that she won't wiggle all around while he is trying to work on her nose. Then he takes this instrument that spread the nostril apart wider and then he took these really long skinny tweezers and went way up her nose and pulled out the foreign body that was caught in her nasal passage. This whole procedure was done in like 5-8 minutes. No kidding.
Alyssa was pretty scared, but didn't cry or make a fuss about it. She was really brave, but the whole time had this face like, "What the heck is that for?" and "What are you going to do with that thing?"
When they pulled the yucky looking thing out and put it on the tray next to her, the strong foul odor followed with it. It was DISGUSTING!!! I'm still not sure what it was, maybe a part of a toy or something? It definitely wasn't a tiny rock like she told me.
Dr Puckett said that it was a good thing that Alyssa was put on antibiotics for the last 2 weeks for Strep Throat, because they probably helped her not get a nasal infection. I never thought I'd say this, but...thank you Lord for blessing my child with Strep Throat!
The funniest part of the day was on our way out of the office I asked Alyssa if she felt better or could she breathe better now? She replied with a very animated, "YES MAMMA...I CAN BREATHE PERFECT!!!" I asked her if she wanted to say thank you to Dr Puckett as we were leaving and she yelled across the hallway at him as she waved good bye, "THANK YOU DR MUCKETT!!!"
In the elevator on the way down from his office, I asked Alyssa what she learned from doing this? She told me, "I never put anything up my nose again."

Lesson Learned...I hope!

2 comments:

Emily Asay said...

that is so funny! i'm glad the procedure was so painless. don't you just love really good doctors???? i know i do :)

Kali said...

I'm glad all turned out well. POOR GIRL! She is TOUGH!