Moms are the Queens of Multi-tasking

Moms are the Queens of Multi-tasking

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sunday Snacks and Smoothies...

The famous Sunday Snack-

Alyssa enjoying her Sunday Snack-

My family with Rob's grandparents after Bella was blessed at church back in February 2008.
Every Sunday is the same here in the Wallace home, yet it is also different.
Different because it is the Lord's day, a holy day, and the day of rest. It is our day to be together as a family and to worship God. It is not a day for playing at water parks, swimming, boating, shopping, or working and earning money, etc...because that would make it just like any other ordinary day.
Since I was a little girl, my parents got up and had family breakfast with us, got us all in our Sunday best, and we went to church as a family. After church we had Sunday dinner, which usually was a Sunday roast with potatoes, carrots, and homemade rolls. YUMMY!
I remember the smell of the roast in the oven as we came in the house from a long morning at church. We would sit down to dinner and not be in a hurry for once. No one had anywhere to rush off to because it was Sunday. So we would sit and visit and catch up on every body's week. I've said it before, some of my favorite memories as a child were around our dinner table.
We would then clean up from dinner and everyone would take our usual Sunday nap. Awww...nothing better than a good restful nap in the middle of the day. No other day could we do that other than Sunday. It felt so good!
The rest of our day would be filled with playing games as a family, going for a walk over to see our grandparents, and when my brother was on his mission, I remember writing him letters every Sunday.
Today, as an adult and having my own family. Our Sundays are a lot like the ones I had growing up. They are a little more peaceful and restful than all the other days of our week. A couple of little traditions that we have started on Sunday since having kids are, Sunday snack and smoothies.
Alyssa likes to have a little snack in the late afternoon, usually after her nap, and for some reason, on Sunday it is always the same. Ritz crackers with melted cheese and ketsup on top. I have gotten a lot of ridicule for this particular treat, but it is a family favorite that goes way back to my grandma Busteed. You have to just try it, trust me, it is good. (It is Cheryl!)
Every Sunday evening we watch America's funniest home video's and make Sunday Smoothies. Alyssa won't let us forget this little treat. If I start to say, "It's bath time," before we've had them, she will say, "No...we haven't had Sunday Smoothies yet."
Here is our recipe in case you ever want to try them.

Sunday Smoothies -
6 oz frozen juice- We like Orange, passion fruit, pina colada, strawberry breeze
(flavor of your choice)
1 1/2 cups Milk
1 tablespoon Vanilla
Fresh fruit of Choice (Bananas go well in all of the above juices)
Ice Cubes

Blend all up in a blender until it is the consistency of your liking. I like mine a little thicker so I blend in a lot of ice.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Honey, when I saw that first picture, I said to myself, "What the heck is that?!" After reading your description, I'm not sure I wanted to know! I grew up with you guys. How did I not know about this horror? Okay...you're right. I can't knock what I haven't tried...but...can it wait until I'm not pregnant? Please??
:0)
Love you! xoxo