
Sorry sisters, I know this picture isn't one of the best, but it was the only one I had of all of us together over Christmas. I feel so bad, because I was looking through my pictures and noticed we never got one with our mother in it. I am so sad about that.
I was thinking about my family today and missing them. I tend to miss them a little bit more right after seeing them. When I go from seeing them every day for 2 weeks to not at all, I feel a small void in my heart. Which is why I want to document what my best gift was this Christmas.
This Christmas, me and my sisters were sitting in the living room visiting with our parent's after the kids had all gone to sleep. Mom wanted to share an article out of the church news that had made an impact on her. It talked about how in the world today, we tend to focus more on what material things we can have or give to others. We seem to think that the more "things" we can give the people we love, the more they have or gain in this world.
But we know, it is really just the opposite of that.
Whatever material things we obtain in this world, as nice as they may be, we will not take with us when our time on earth is through. The article went on to talk ask what as parents are we giving to our children that will leave a LASTING effect? My mother and father shared their thoughts and feelings about this to me and my sisters. My mother felt prompted to share with us her personal testimony of her Heavenly Father and of her Savior. She told us that she hopes that she has instilled in us the ability to rely on our Heavenly Father when things get hard and trial arise throughout our lives. Because it is only through Him we will be able to endure anything that comes our way.
Mom then gave us each a small wrapped box. In it, was a silver gold necklace. The pendant was a circle that said, "Mother Daughter Friend" around the inside of the circle. She told us that the meaning for giving us this necklace wasn't just to have another "thing" for Christmas. But it was to represent and to help remind us of what our mother had just told us about turning to our Heavenly Father when things get hard. That no matter where we all are, we can wear this and remember how much our mother loves us and how much our Heavenly Father loves us.
This necklace is very special to me because of what it reminds me. Everytime I wear it, I will remember that night with my parent's and the things they told me and the feelings I felt. I also love the idea that my two best friends in the world have one too, and that even though we are far apart, we are all wearing them and thinking of the same things.
Thank you momma for alway teaching us what we need to know to become better mothers, wives, and daughter of God. I love you!



6 comments:
What a beautiful gift!
that's so sweet! how precious....nad you're right, such a great way to remember what "it's all about"! YOu are SO lucky to have such great relationships with your sisters!
You write everything so perfectly. Love seeing all of you together. I appreciate the meaningful story behind the necklace and the fact that it's not just another thing... it's truly the best gift.
Thank you for inspiring me to remember what it is about Christmas that leaves something...well, missing: my family! Since they are so far away, I really miss mine a lot and wish that my kids were able to see the importance of FAMILY and our relationships, our love! LOVE truly is our greatest gift no matter how you look at it. I just think that people have lost the ability to show that love and have gotten caught up in the counterfeit version of showing love by giving more and more physical gifts! That's exactly what I meant when I put that quote in my Christmas letter that said: "Probably the reason we all go so haywire at Christmas time with the endless unrestrained and often silly buying of gifts is that we don't quite know how to put our love into words." ~ Harlan Miller
Instead of giving more and more gifts, we just need to relearn how to show our love! Thanks for the wonderful story about showing real love on Christmas!
I love this post. But it makes me homesick. Wish I could have seen all of you. Today, I was listening to some talk radio show and the host said he thought it would be interesting to hear what people would think heaven would be like. For me, it would be like Christmas with all of my family and very best friends, together forever.
Hope you all had an amazing time together. I know your mom and dad have to have loved having you all home. What a treasure!
Oh...I just read this today and loved it. Your parents are such great examples to everyone in Cowley of great parents who really know what is important. We're lucky to have them as neighbors and my son is extra lucky to have your dad teach him every Sunday. I truly wish all kids could have parents like yours...wouldn't this world be different?
Post a Comment